by Nancy Cullen
The old website needed updating and we pitched in. With time on my hands and experience adding content to WordPress websites, I began work on the new website in November 2021 – hoping to be finished by January. The process is like assembling a puzzle. WordPress, described as ‘a free, open-source content management system’, has templates, evolving features, and is used by over 40% of the top 10 million websites. The new https://uudanbury.org/ also will work on mobile devices or tablets, and uses UUA’s best practices for accessibility.
It was collaborative:
- UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association) offered a template for congregations, guidance and a user-tested structure.
- Carl Tichler set the template up and offered technical support.
- Margaret Henderson offered decisive input, leadership perspective, and expertise in writing and proofreading.
- Melody Levy gave good suggestions, photos and design skills with text and images created for Facebook.
- Mary Ann Kulla did Photoshop editing.
- Barbara Myers and Reverend Kathleen proofread and gave helpful feedback. (You can do this too!)
- Sherry Kyriacou is becoming familiar with updating it.
- Jon Dupree provided troubleshooting and a depth of technical knowledge.
- I also used content from the old site and the Comment.
You may notice:
- We write a lot. Here are UUA’s tips on writing for the web- Use fewer words and design for skimming. I am trying to follow this.
- Mistakes. A website is never finished. Tell me about them! You can reach me by emailing Margaret or Sherry.
- Content is repeated. People navigate websites in different ways with limited time; the idea is to make content available especially to people browsing for a congregation like ours. It is not intended to be linear like a book with a table of contents.
- The member portal has a new password. Email Sherry at firstname.lastname@example.org for the new password. It may change again to secure our content. Hacking happens.
- Newer photos. We need newer photos. If you have good photos of our activities or photos representing our ideals submit them. Tell me if you object to a photo that makes you look ten years younger!
- Content missing. If you are part of a committee or activity that needs to be included tell us.